Friday, April 20, 2018
Official Website for Oconee County

Mission Statement

The mission of the Oconee County Probate Court is to serve all people with respect, dignity and compassion through a responsive South Carolina Judicial System.

General Information


To start a Search for an Estate or to request a Copy of a Marriage License, please click the link below:

(Note: 1. Marriage Licenses only date back until 1988 for our online records. If you need a copy for one that is before this time period, you will need to visit our office or mail a request in. 2. On the estates it says document not available for all proceedings because we are currently not offering online image documents at this moment in time. This is just an index. If you need copies of certain documents from a file, you will still need to visit our office to obtain them.)

Marriage License Information:

Marriage Licenses may be applied for at the Probate Court between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Probate Court is located at 415 South Pine Street, Walhalla, SC   29691, Room 202.  No appointment is necessary to apply for a marriage license.

Both parties must be present to apply for a Marriage License.

Parties must be over the age of sixteen (16) to apply for a marriage license and must have parental or guardian consent.

If you are over the age of eighteen (18) you must bring one form of identification that clearly shows the name and date of birth.  State Drivers License or ID, military ID, AND passports are the best forms of identification used.  The Drivers License does NOT have to be a South Carolina Drivers License.

You should bring your Social Security Card.  If you do not have your social security card you must know your Social Security Number and bring one document with your Social Security Number printed on it, such as a paycheck stub, tax document, etc… Those without a Social Security Number (foreign nationals or otherwise) should bring their passport/visa.

If you are under the age of eighteen (18) you must bring a Certified Copy of your Birth Certificate which will be kept on file OR you may bring an original birth certificate. A parent or guardian must accompany the minor and give consent. A parent or guardian must bring identification and may be required to file additional documentation.

Applicants are required to pay a $30.00 fee Oconee County residents or $45 for Out of County residents, for the marriage license. Payment is due at the time of the filing of the marriage application. We accept cash, in state checks and money orders as payment as well as credit card or debit card payments with an additional % upcharge at time of payment.  

There is a 24 hour waiting period after you apply for the license before you can receive your marriage license.  You do not have to be a resident of this state to apply for a marriage license however the ceremony must be performed in South Carolina by ministers of the Gospel, accepted Jewish Rabbis or officers authorized to administer oaths in South Carolina (Notary Public).

 A blood test is not required.

 For additional information you may call 864-638-4275.

Mental Health Information:


Click here for Procedures for Involuntary Committal for Mentally Ill and Chemically Dependent Persons.doc


Estate Information:




**We require appointments to be made so that we may serve you and others in a timely and considerate manner. The number for you to call is 864-364-5275.


A letter from the Judge: CAN I MEET WITH THE JUDGE.docx


Click Here for Probate Court Forms: Then use 'Search #1: Forms By Court Type', scroll down to 'Probate Court' and hit 'Submit'.


Click Here for the link to purchase "The South Carolina Personal Representative Handbook" by Elizabeth Patrick Coleman, Esquire

 The Probate Court of Oconee County provides the following services for our community:

  1. Estates of decedents, including the contest of wills, and determination of heirs and successors of decedents and estates of protected persons;
  2. Protection of minors, except the jurisdiction over the care, custody, and control of the persons of minors is governed by Section 62-5-201 and incapacitated persons;
  3. Trusts inter vivos or testamentary, including the appointment of successor trustees;
  4. The issuance of marriage licenses, in form as provided by the Bureau of Vital Statistics of the Department of Health and Environmental Control; record, index, and dispose of copies of marriage certificates; and issue certified copies of the licenses and certificates;
  5. The performance of the duties of the clerk of the circuit and family courts of the county in which the probate court is held when there is a vacancy in the office of clerk of court; 
  6. Involuntary commitment of persons suffering from mental illness, mental retardation, alcoholism, drug addiction, and active pulmonary tuberculosis.

Click Here to view frequently asked questions dealing with Probate: QandA.docx

Guardianship and Conservatorship Information:

We offer the protection of minors, (except the jurisdiction over the care, custody, and control of the persons of minors), and incapacitated persons under the format of Conservatorships and Guardianships. Please see below for more information on how to obtain these.

Check out these brochures for more information regarding Conservatorships and Guardianships:

Conservatorship Brochure.docx - Requirements and Information dealing with the process of obtaining a Conservatorship for Incapacitated Adults or Minors.

Guardianship Brochure.docx - Requirements and Information dealing with the process of obtaining Guardianship for Incapacitated Adults.

Click Here to view frequently asked questions dealing with Guardianships and Conservatorships: QandAonGC.docx


Oconee County Probate Court Fees and Costs.docx (Itemized List of our Court Fees as well as additional Fees)

MagistrateProbate CourtProcurementRegister of DeedsRoads and BridgesRock QuarrySolid WasteTreasurerVehicle MaintenanceVeteran's Affairs
     CMS Management and Original Design by Net Doctors