COVID19 Temporary Measures:
The Probate Court provides the following services:
- Estates of decedents, including the contest of wills, and determination of heirs and successors of decedents and estates of protected persons;
- Protection of minors, except the jurisdiction over the care, custody, and control of the persons of minors is governed by Section 62-5-201 and incapacitated persons;
- Trusts inter vivos or testamentary, including the appointment of successor trustees;
- The issuance of marriage licenses, in form as provided by the Bureau of Vital Statistics of the Department of Health and Environmental Control; record, index, and dispose of copies of marriage certificates; and issue certified copies of the licenses and certificates;
- The performance of the duties of the clerk of the circuit and family courts of the county in which the probate court is held when there is a vacancy in the office of clerk of court;
- Involuntary commitment of persons suffering from mental illness, mental retardation, alcoholism, drug addiction, and active pulmonary tuberculosis.
The mission of the Oconee County Probate Court is to serve all people with respect, dignity, and compassion through a responsive South Carolina Judicial System.
Our records are now available online:
To start a search for an Estate or to request a copy of a Marriage License, please visit the SC Probate Website.
1) Marriage Licenses only date back until 1988 for our online records. If you need a copy for one that is before this time period, you will need to visit our office or mail a request in.
2) On the estates it says document not available for all proceedings because we are currently not offering online image documents at this moment in time. This is just an index. If you need copies of certain documents from a file, you will still need to visit our office to obtain them.